Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Living Abroad

Living abroad has had its up and downs. In the past I felt lonely, bored, and felt that I didn’t accomplish much. However, this season has been a great season for us. I am at a point in my life where I can really appreciate this experience and learning about different cultures. Truthfully I think living abroad has been better for my marriage, parenting skills, and I have learned how to cook!! My biggest complaint was that I missed working! When I told my mother this she said “you have your entire life to work enjoy all the traveling.”

Nichy and I get to spend so much time together here. I don’t think that would have been possible if we were in the U.S. For instance we eat lunch and dinner together everyday. Hanging out in the afternoons is not something most married couples are able to do. Yes, we have friends here but the majority time it is just us together. We do not have the interruptions of friends or family. Don’t get me wrong. I would love to live near my family or friends!!

Before when I was living in another country and Nichy was gone for a few days I felt loneliness like no other. At least I felt that way in the past, and I tended to go a little stir crazy. This year having Gabriela I do not get that feeling when Nichy goes on road games. Yes, the house feels a little empty, but my days fly by! Living here Gabriela I do not have the luxuries of baby food or all the great baby items in the U.S. Wal-mart has a baby section in the U.S.; Grocery stores here have a few shelves of baby products. My apartment is really small so daily walks and trips to the park are a must!

Since we have married I have cooked, but not well. I probably had about three or four items I could cook with out a recipe. Living abroad has helped me make meals from scratch. There are not packaged vegetable, pre-made sauces, boxed potatoes, or frozen meals! Yes it is a pain at time especially when I cook lunch and dinner. Cooking has become a passion for me and something I am always trying to get better at! I have learned a lot from other basket wives living abroad and have gotten some great recipes! I do not know how much longer Nichy will continue to play, but I know we are loving this opportunity and hope to continue playing for a while!

3 comments:

dillards said...

Look at you reflecting like that. So happy for you and proud of you guys. I think I can relate since I lived away from family for 10 years in LA. I would love for you to teach me some of your tricks in the kitchen and recipes when you come home. Miss ya

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. Must be a basket wife thing...who knew would grow to love this life style!

Sarah

Maria said...

I've always been a cook, but I wouldn't trade the three years I had alone with Kevin for anything. That time we spent together set the foundation for our marriage... I usually say we spent more time together in three years than most couples do in ten. :)